Consequences of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. What Can I Do to Avoid Severe Forms of the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
If you wake up at night from pain in your wrists, if you feel numbness and tingling in your hands periodically, be aware, these may be symptoms of the carpal tunnel syndrome. Try to do what you can to eliminate constant repetitive strain your wrists go under daily. Modifications at home and workplace are absolutely necessary. Such simple things can have tremendous meaning for your health. Think of therapeutic chairs, keyboards, computer mouse. Give more rest to your wrists. Use wrist braces and splints, especially at night.
Consequences of carpal tunnel syndrome on a person’s life differ depending on the severity of the symptoms. Most mild to moderate cases can be managed without carpal tunnel surgery. Surgical treatment is suggested in case if the symptoms do not cease after subscribed medication and simple carpal exercises. More info: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_surgery
Carpal tunnel syndrome exercises:
- Stretch your arms in front of you with your wrists straight and fingers relaxed.
- In the same position make tight fists.
- Then bend your fists down in the same position.
- Then in the same position straighten your wrists and relax your fingers for 5 seconds.
Above-mentioned carpal tunnel syndrome treatment though may not help. A patient may keep suffering constant throbbing pain in the hands and up to the elbows, numbness daily as symptoms of a severe carpal tunnel syndrome form. Besides, if there are signs of nerve damage it’s a signal that operation is needed urgently.
Carpal tunnel syndrome surgery implements cutting of the transverse carpal ligament to ease pressure on the median nerve in the wrist. The tunnel surgery can be performed in the following ways:
- Open Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery that suggests more disturbances to the tissue of the hand and gives the doctor better observation of inner tissues:
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery disturbs less tissue and therefore the recovery takes less time. During the endoscopic surgery the operated area is viewed on the monitor.
- Mini-Open Approach, which is a short-incision procedure. The advantage of the surgery is a direct view of the area while the incision made is very small, just one inch.
To sum up, it should be said that the best you can do to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome is to take preventative measures and do tunnel exercises. In case of complication consider syndrome surgical treatment.